wpe1.jpg (1218 bytes) Jersey History - (As I find dates and things to put here)


250,000 (ish)  Traces of Acheulean man in the island. Acheulean derives it's name from handaxes.

125,000 (ish)  Neanderthal man in the island.

6,500 (ish) The end of the ice age. The sea rises and Jersey becomes an island.

3,600 (ish) The passage grave known as La Sergenté at St. Brelade was constructed.

3,500 (ish) The Neolithic tomb at La Hougue Bie was built.

2,000 (ish) Iberians arrived in the island. Jersey was still attached to mainland europe. The Iberians built the dolmens.

56 The Romans settle and name the island Caesarea.


511 Jersey becomes a part of the kingdom of Neustria.

555 Vikings kill St. Helier.

1030 (ish) Robert I (Duke of Normandy) and Edward I (The confessor) stay in Jersey.

1154 Town Mills mentioned in a charter of Henry II.

1175 (ish) The first walls of the St. Helier parish church were built. Note work may have started as late as 1200.

1213 August. King John visited Jersey.

1215 King John allowed Jersey to be self governed.

1230 May 2. King Henry III visited Jersey whilst on route to St. Malo.

1328 Grosnez castle built.

1337  Thomas de Ferrers started the Jersey Militia.

1341 King Edward III issued a freedom charter to the Channel Islands. The islands would be self governing.

1348  The Black Death comes to Jersey.

1356  "Foret de la Brequette" at L'Etacq is lost to the sea.

1360  May 8th  The "Treaty of Bretigny" is signed between king Edward III of England and king John II of France at the french village of Bretigny. The French now have no rights to the Channel Islands.

1372  Ifan of Wales raided the island.

1373 The French invaded, but could not take control of Gorey castle.

1403 July.  Admiral de Penhouet attacked Jersey with a Breton fleet.

1462 The first written reference to a "father of the parish" or Constable.

1477 St. Mannelier grammar school was founded by Jean Hue the Rector of St. Saviour.

1484 Five Spanish ships were wrecked off Corbiere.

1496 St. Anastase grammar school was founded by Jean Neel and Vincent Tehy with a grant from King Henry VII. It was at Le Mont De St. Anastase in St. Peter.

1502 First written reference to Centeniers.

1542 The building of St. Aubin's tower (now St. Aubin's fort) is ordered by the States.

1551 John Owen (Owen brothers of London) built the parish cannon at Beaumont St. Peter. In 1839 Sir John le Couteur found it in England and returned it to the parish of St. Peter.

1551 The islands church bells were sold to raise money for the defence of the island.

1563 May 22. All Catholic religious books are to be burnt in the Royal Square by order.

1565 The Seigneur of St. Ouen was granted the right to colonise Sark by Queen Elizabeth I.

1590 Elizabeth castle was built by Sir Walter Raleigh who was the islands governor.

1642 The States of Jersey pass a law that anyone found to be playing a fiddle on a Sunday would have it confiscated.

1644 Parliamentarian forces invaded.

1649 King Charles II inspects the Jersey Malitia on the beach at St. Aubin.

1660 Marie Le Dain was the last person in Jersey to be executed for witch craft.

1676 A curfew was ordered in St. Helier on saturdays to stop trouble from drunks leaving the taverns.

1751 The statue of King George II is erected in "Market square", now the Royal square.

1760 Fort William was built. It overlooks Bouley Bay.

1768 February 24. The Chamber of Commerce was founded. The first in the British isles and before the NewYork Camber of Commerce.

1769 The price of corn caused riots.

1781 January 6. The french attack and Major Peirson dies in the Royal Square at the battle of Jersey.

1782 Seymour Tower at La Rocque was built.

1786 August 5. The "Gazette de I'Ile de Jersey" was the first newspaper to be printed in Jersey. Mathieu Alexandre

1787 The Methodist John Wesley visited Jersey.

1789 The last cattle were imported into the island. In 1945 a Normandy cow was brought over from France.

1790 April 19. In St. Helier the North Pier's foundation stone was laid. This is now the New North Quay.

1790 A local headmaster made the first flight over Jersey in a hot air balloon.

1792 The "Le Soleil de Jersey", the Charlot (political party) newspaper was first published.

1792 Building work started on Archirondel Tower. it took two years to finish.

1793 January 8. The General Hospital was opened to everybody in the island.

1794 February 15. The first Jersey post office opens in Hue Street. It is now the Post Horn pub.

1795 Building work started on La Rocco Tower. It was finished in 1801.

1806 July 23. General Don starts the building of the main roads in Jersey.

1806 November 7. General Don laid the foundation stone of Fort Regent.

1810 Rozel Barracks were built.

1810 Icho Tower was built.

1811 Janvrin's tomb the tower built on "Ile au Guerdain" in Portelet bay was built. It was named after Philip Janvrin the sailor.

1814 May 11. The New Quay foundation stone was laid.

1814 Work starts on the "Merchants Quay". This is now Commercial Builings.

1814 The Martello tower at Noirmont was finished.

1820 January. The "Le Constitutionnel" is first published. It ran until 1876.

1824 The Jersey life boat service was founded.

1824 The "Ariadne" began the first steamship service. She was 70 horse power. The "steam clock" is based on this.

1831 St. Helier's shops were first lit with gas.

1832 The islands first cholera epidemic.

1833 Royal Jersey Agricultural & Horticultural Society was founded.

1834 The first cattle show was held at the cattle market in Beresford Street.

1834 September 18. Jersey's currency changed from the French livre tournois to the English pound sterling.

1837 The job of Public Executioner was abolished.

1841 Work starts on building the Victoria pier.

1842 A quarry was opened to supply stone for the building of St. Catherine's breakwater by Messrs Jackson and Bean.

1846 September 3rd. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert visit for three hours. Prince Albert asked the question ‘Why do you Jerseymen always build your harbours on dry land’.

1847 The building work starts on St. Catherine's breakwater.

1847 The building work starts on the Albert Quay.

1850 May 24th. The foundation stone for Victoria College was laid. This was Queen Victoria's birthday.

1852 Victor Hugo arrives in Jersey. He lived at 3 Marine Terrace (St. Clement). Three years later he was expelled from the island.

1852 September. Victoria College was opened.

1852 November. Three octagonal post boxes are erected. The first in the United Kingdom.

1854 The Petty Debts Court first sat.

1857 The first States Deputies elections were held.

1858 September. The first telegraphic service to England is set up.

1859 August 13. Queen Victoria visited Jersey. Islanders were surprised to find the Royal Yacht anchored in St.Aubin's Bay. Queen Victoria and Prince Albert had decided to get away from the worrying political situation by taking a sea trip. Island Officials were under the impression that no landing would take place. However the Queen decided that she wished to view the college bearing her name. With only half an hour's warning, red carpet was acquired and a carriage made available. With no mililitiamen to line the route an enthusiastic crowd swamped the carriage with flowers, to the extent that negotiating the street became difficult. Victoria College was taken completely by surprise when the Queen arrived and when the party returned to the pier her Yacht was not yet ready. Later, the Queen landed again and may have got more of a feel for the Island, as she was driven quietly up St.Peters Valley and across the northern parishes to St.Catherine's, where she was picked up again by her yacht.

1860 The first telegraphic service to France is set up.

1863 Albert House is built. This was to be the Harbour Office buildings.

1870 October 25. The railway between St. Helier and St. Aubin opens.

1872 A one penny per ton tax on all vessels was introduced to pay for Corbière lighthouse.

1872 Work starts on Bonne Nuit harbour.

1873 January 28. La Societe Jersiaise was founded.

1873 August 6. The railway between St. Helier (Snow Hill) and Gorey opens. This had a different size track from the St. Helier to St. Aubin route.

1874 April 24. Corbière Lighthouse was finished and put in service. This was the first British lighthouse to be made from reinforced concrete.

1876 The first propeller driven vessel the "Diana", a mail boat, arrives in Jersey.

1876 Jersey adopted English coins as the islands currency.

1880 Jersey royal potatoes were starting to be grown.

1880 Jersey Ladies College was founded.

1882 The Central Market opens.

1884 August.  The Western railway was extended to Corbière.

1885 August 5. The first train ran from Saint Helier to La Corbière.

1889 December 17. The Gold Torque was found by workmen in Lewis Street near the General Hospital in St. Helier.

1890 The Millbrook reservoir was built. It holds 36,400,000lt of water.

1890 June 30. The Jersey Evening Post was first published.

1895 The Town Mills burn down.

1898 The first electric telephones were installed.

1899 March 30. The steamship "Stella" hits the Casquets in the fog at full speed. She was racing another ship.

1899 Advocate Peter Falla imported the first motor car.

1899 July 14. Education becomes compulsory.

1900 English was first use in the States sittings.

1900 July. Lillie Langtry opens the Opera House.

1902 The first Battle of Flowers.

1903 October 30. Ronez start shipping granite for the first time.

1905 April 1. First Muratti cup football match. The result.

1907 June 28. Mont Orgueil castle given to the States of Jersey by the English Crown.

1908 December 7. Mr. Langlois and Mr. Poulain open the first cinema in New Street. St. Thomas's Hall.

1909 Dannemarche reservoir in St. Lawrence was built. It holds 93,000,000lt of water.

1911 October. Neolithic tombs found at Green Island.

1912 The Jersey Green Room Club was founded.

1912 Charlie Chaplin is told off for clowning around at the Battle of Flowers.

1912 The first aeroplane to fly to Jersey, landed in St. Aubin's bay. It was a Sanchez-Besa biplane piloted by Jean Benoist. He had been racing from St. Malo with three other aircraft.

1916 May 21. "British Summer Time" introduced.

1918 March 16. The steamer "South Western" was torpedoed by a German submarine.

1919 Jersey adopts the English measure of weighs.

1919 July. Women over 30 years of age get the right to vote.

1919 October 5. The Seaplane Special, a 130hp Auto Biplane brought the news papers "Lloyds Weekly News" to Jersey. Its sister plane should have gone to Guernsey, but due to engine trouble had to ditch in the sea. The plane and the papers were lost. The Pilot survived.

1920 Radio receiver licenses were first issued.

1921 May 12. Opera House has a fire.

1921 July 12. King George V and Queen Mary visit Jersey.

1923 French coins are no longer legal tender in the island.

1923 Elizabeth castle was bought by the States of Jersey for the sum of £1,500.

1924 May 6. Lord and Lady Baden-Powell visit Jersey.

1924 September 3. The dolmen at La Hougue Bie is excavated by the Société Jersiaise.

1926 July 30 14:21 Severe earthquake.

1927 February 17 23:18 Earthquake.

1927 August 21 07:00 Small earthquake.

1929 February 12. Lillie Langtry dies at Nice. She is buried at St. Saviour's cemetery.

1929 December 30. The first film with sound is shown in Jersey. The film was called "The Perfect Alibi".

1930 November 11. Small earthquake.

1930 November 16. Another small earthquake.

1931 Handios reservoir in St. Lawrence was built. It holds 187,500,000lt of water.

1933 April 12. 15:31 Slight earthquake.

1933 August 31. The first Ariel Pageant took place over Les Quennevais, a Gypsy Moth, Flying Boat and an Auto Giro. There should have been 20 aircraft, but only 6 came. The show was a great success and was watched by thousands. The traffic caused a lot of problems.

1933 December 18 Jersey Airways start flying a passenger service to Portsmouth. The first commercial service to and from Jersey.

1934 August 26. The first local aircraft fatality. A nine year old boy was killed and one other was seiously injured when taxiing for a take off went wrong at West Park beach. The aircraft hit the wall.

1936 The Western Railway closes.

1936 July 31. Jersey Airways Amphibious Aircraft "Cloud of iona", had departed from Guernsey Harbour in poor visibility, but never arrived in Jersey. A week later the bodies of 8 passengers and 2 crew were washed ashore on the French coast.

1937 March 10. The airport in St. Peter opened. The main terminal cost £128,000 to build. 120 tons of steel and 4,607 tons of concrete were used. Aircraft used to land on St. Aubins beach before the airport was built.

1937 Lady Trent donates Coronation Park (Millbrook Park) to the island.

1938 November 4 (10:52am). A Jersey Airlines Aircraft, a DH 86 named "St. Catherine's Bay" (G-ACNZ), crashed into a field close to the east of the airport. A farm worker, believed to be a Mr. Le Cornu, was killed along with the pilot, Mr. A G M Cary and all the passengers when the aircraft burst into flames. Most of the passengers were from the Voisin family. View crash report.

1939 September. Howard Davis Park opens to the public.

1940 June 28. The German Air Force bombed the island and machine-gunned some potato lorries. It is thought that the Germans mistook the potato lorries for military vehicles. Nine people died.

1940 July 1st. The Germans landed in the island.

1943 January 7. The Germans blew up the Bel Royal Martello tower.

1944 December 30. S.S. Vega first docked at St. Helier with red cross parcels. It sailed from Lisbon, Portugal.

1945 May 9. Liberation day. The Germans surrendered to the British after an occupation of four years and nine months.

1945 May 23. German currency ceased to be legal tender in the island.

1947 July 3. 53081 ration books issued.

1948 November 9. First election for 12 senators.

1948 December 8. First election for deputies.

1948 December 13. The new States Assembly sit for the first time.

1949 Princess Elizabeth visited the island.

1952 Grand Vaux reservoir in St. Saviour was built. It holds 229,600,000lt of water.

1952 June. The Odeon cinema opens. It's first film was "The Importance of Being Ernest".

1953 November 17. The International Courts rule Les Ecrehous belong to Jersey.

1955 The BBC start broadcasting to the island.

1956 Jersey gets its first set of traffic lights.

1957 Work starts on the building of Val De La Mare dam. When finished in 1961 it held back 940,000,000lt of water.

1959 October 9. Francis Joseph Hutchet was hanged for murder. He was the last person in Jersey to receive the death penalty.

1962 Channel Television began broadcasting.

1963 The Jersey Wildlife Preservation Trust (Durrell Wildlife Conservation Trust) was founded at Jersey Zoo.

1965 April 14. A British United Airways aircraft, a Dakota (DC3) hit an approach landing light pole at Oak Walk, at the top of Le Mont Fallu, St. Peter, whilst trying to land in thick fog. The aircraft cart-wheeled and crashed into Mr. Egre's freshly ploughed field. All 23 passengers and 3 crew were killed. The 22 year old french stewardess was the only survivor having been thrown out of the aircraft, but suffered 2 broken legs. She was dragged away across the field by Mrs. P Syvret who lived near-by and helped by Miss J Egre.

1968 Jersey's first multi-storey car park opens in Green Street.

1970 The desalination plant first produced fresh water from the sea.

1972 May. Princess Anne visits the island.

1975 May. The Queen Mother visits the island

1976 Colour television is broadcast in the island for the first time.

1978 Queen Elizabeth visited the island.

1980 August 22. A twin engined aircraft made a forced landing on St. Aubin's beach, "The Navajo" only slight damage due to landing with its wheels up. The pilot of the pliots of other aircraft knowong of the other ones problem flew low over the beach in an attempt to move people on the beach away.

1980 October 1. A twin engine Cessna aircraft crashed into a house, Sous L'Eglise or Dower House, near St. Peter's church. It was piloted by Mr. Norman Harvey who was killed.

1984 June 1. The French invade the Minquiers. Organized by Mr. Jean Raspail.

1984 The States of Jersey abolished the death penalty.

1987 October 16th The great storm.

1989 May. Queen Elizabeth II visits the island. She officially opened the Elizabeth Terminal at St. Helier's harbour.

1989 The Jersey Battle of Flowers first evening parade.

1991 Queen's Valley reservoir was built. It holds 1,193,000,000lt of water.

1995 Prince Charles visits the island for the 50th liberation anniversary.

1998 May. Prince Andrew visits the island. He officially opened the Elizabeth marina at St. Helier's harbour.

1998 August 30. The French invade the Minquiers.

1999 The Harbour Office moves to Maritime House.

2006 December 10. The death penalty was formally abolished.

2008 May 6. GST at 3% is introduced to the island.

2012 July 5. Jersey Gas had a fire in a gas holder in Tunnel Street.

2020 March 10. The first person in Jersey tests positive with COVID-19. They had travelled from Italy.

2020 March 20. The whole island goes into lockdown. Businesses are to close. People are to stay in their own homes. Nobody is allowed outside for more than two hours if they are not key workers.

2020 March 23. The UK go into lockdown over COVID-19.

2020 May 2. The COVID-19 pandemic restrictions start to be eased.

If you would like to add or alter any text please email me at lecky7@hotmail.com